Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Go to the tree then come back to me and apple butter




This blog is dedicated to my mom and to the heroes in my life that I call my children both of whom I am beginning to understand more these days.





Apple Butter

Canning, sewing and sharing stories were part of my relationship with my mom. I miss her even more these days as these things become more and more a thing of the past.

6 good size apples (about 4 lbs)
2 cups water (add cider vinegar to 2 cups water for more tart flavor)
1/2 cup sugar for each cup pulp (measure later)
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. cloves
1/2 t allspice
1 T grated lemon rind
2 T lemon juice from the lemon

Wash apple, remove the stems, peel and quarter them. Simmer in water until soft, pour off the water and mash to a pulp being sure to pour off any additional water.
Measure the pulp and add sugar accordingly. Add seasonings and cook slowly increasing temperature until the mixure is thick and boiling. Stir as the mixture comes to a boil then remove from the heat. Add the lemon rind and juice and cook two more minutes. Put into sterilized jars and seal

Makes about 4 pints.



Go to the tree then come back to me

When I was old enough to walk to school by myself I was about two blocks from school but I had to cross a busy street (with a cross guard of course). The summer before my mom wanted me to get used to walking the way I had to go so I would be confident. I loved to take my little sister, Mary, for a walk. She was three so mom would let me walk her two houses down from us where there was a big tree then I was to come back. Her plan was always to teach me to overcome fear of things that are new in life by learning about them a little at a time. Being the adventurous child that I was, once I started school and could go "past the tree" to the end of the block, I was very confident. Perhaps too confident. One morning my mom was busy in the kitchen and I decided that if I had her very carefully walk behind me, the crossing guard would not see my little sister and I could take her to school with me. Quietly, I dressed her and told her to stay right behind me and off we went. When we got to the tree she looked at me as if to say "time to go back" but I told her it would be fun to go to school. It was about that time I heard my mother call my name. She was not angry (and probably not surprised) with my decision. She just took Mary by the hand and led her back home and sent me on my way to the amusement of the crossing guard.

I remembered that in a dream last night and it was so wonderful to see my mom's face and the understanding she always had of my quirkiness. I know that God has the perfect plan for all of us and sometimes we get off the path and he gently has to bring us back to where we need to be.

When my children were small, I tried to teach them some of the lessons my mom tried to teach me. I had three small children and a very sick husband so sometimes I was very tired after sewing into the night to supplement our income. My oldest was in Head Start preschool and I had a two younger babies too. One morning after putting my son on the school bus, I fell back asleep. My daughter who was three decided she wanted to go to school. She took her brother who was about eighteen months with her and they walked the one block to the Jr High down the street from us. She had a good reason. She loved hearing the band practice and when she woke from her nap every day they miraculously were playing in the street in front of our house. She had no way of understanding that it was part of her schedule and something I could predict but she could not control. I'm not sure why I woke up or what made me go outside but my heart jumped into my throat when I saw her leading her baby brother toward the house on her way home. A neighbor was watching from her porch and told me what she saw. The two babies were patiently sitting on the steps of the school when she walked past. She thought I was with them and they had gotten out of my sight until she saw them walking home again a few minutes later. They had crossed a street going east then a second going north to get to the steps! Two times they could have been hit by a car... I was horrified but did not panic. (Those of you who know me are laughing at the thought of me being calm... so maybe I did panic a just a little.)

That day I taught my little ones to ride the trikes and big wheels to the large oak tree about halfway down the block and when they got to the crack in the sidewalk to come back to me. It was good to see them still be a little adventurous and still be safe. One day they were old enough to walk past that tree, then the block and eventually they took paths I never dreamed they would. They held each others hands for a while then they took the hands of others who shared their dreams because that is what heroes do. They are there in your life, they bring something wonderful to your adventure and they rescue from the fears you have inside. Then one day, they are off on their own adventure and they have to go far beyond the tree... because that's what heroes do.

Acts 28:26 "Hearing you will hear and shall not understand; seeing you will see and not percieve". Thank you, oh Lord as you open my eyes to the things I did not understand and want so much to today.

Love,
Nana

No comments:

Post a Comment