Friday, December 9, 2011

Somebody is always watching and No Bake Cookies



This blog is just for fun because sometimes life should include a lighter side. It is humbly dedicated to a smile from the past. John, you never knew who was watching and may never know the lives you changed just by you being part of their day. I am so glad you were part of mine.





No Bake Cookies

Step 1: Mix together
2 cups sugar (substitute products will not work)
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk
1/4 1b (1 stick) butter (margarine will work but butter is creamier)

Cook in saucepan on medium heat stirring constantly until it starts to boil. Remove from the heat and let cool one minute. (No cheating... wait for one minute)


Step 2: add
1 tsp. vanilla flavoring
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
3 cups uncooked oatmeal (can be regular or quick but regular adsorbs better)

Stir this all up (tasting is okay), drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper and let cool.
Serve... make lots. They go fast at any party!

Somebody is always watching

If you look at my graph you will see people don't always project their true feelings. It may take a while, but eventually guys learn when they are told "everything is FINE", there is a good chance that they will be hearing later on a subject that is not "fine" at all. Why it can take ten, twenty or even more years for us to acknowledge the people who helped us through years that were not "fine" is beyond me. That has been happening over the past few months in my world. People who I thought did not even know who I WAS are in communication with me and remembering things I never thought was obvious. For that reason, I am taking a moment to acknowledge someone who was a spice in my kitchen. As any cook knows, it does not take a lot of one spice to make a world of difference in a dish. This was and is John.

John and I went to school together back before there were cell phones, IPods and there was still prayer in school and before each football game. It was "cool" to go to a pep rally or bonfire and the police did not have to be present to monitor if drugs were being sold. Yes, there were paved roads and a small percentage of the students had cars but any other semblance to today pretty much is gone. We were the ones who sat on the back row. It was not that we were shy, it was just that alphabetically we were near the end of the alphabet... well at least for him. I was shy but hey that was a long, long time ago. People turned around and looked at the back of the class because John had kind of magnetism that made everybody want to see what he would say or do next. He was not the "class clown". He was just a good guy that had a smile for everybody. For those of us watching, it was neat. That is something people forget. Somebody is always watching you and your actions or interaction with others may be all that they need to make it through a difficult time. John loved hats and he says he still does. With his hat and the smile he always wore, he would be in the principals office the first day if he were a high school student today. You are not supposed to be different and anybody who smiles that much should probably be tested for drugs! How sad it that? The very things that set us apart and give us individuality are looked down on. People are watching now but for different reasons. Not to capture a moment of the magic but to judge.

I am looking through my spices today to make sure I have everything I need for the weekend. This weekend has been set aside as the winter session of "Camp-Nana's-Got-You". Many (sadly not all) of my grandchildren will be here! We will make decorations and Christmas cookies and watch Christmas movies in sleeping bags with teddy bears and popcorn. Come Sunday, the parents will come to get them and you may have to bag up what is left of me to toss in a chair to rest but it will be worth it. None of my spices will have the name "John" on it but I can assure you, he will not be far from my thoughts. I recently learned that his battle with cancer has cost him his leg and downtime from the teaching he loves but I have been told, he plans to return to work as soon as his treatments will allow it. I picture his smiling face and him tipping his hat oblivious to the ones who are watching and are inspired. Welcome to my kitchen, John. You will be in my prayers. Thank you for the spice you brought to my life.

Psalm 25:1 To you, oh Lord, I lift up my soul. Oh my God... I trust in you.

Love,
Nana

1 comment:

  1. John fought a courageous battle and never lost his unique sense of humor. On March 12, 2013 he began a new journey. He was fascinated with the story of the magical land of OZ captured in a story he often used in his classroom. Captain John Kyle Thomas, you will be missed. Sending you chants and charms.

    ReplyDelete